IINE is currently offering internships through its Lowell office to students with demonstrated interest, education, or experience in serving refugee, asylee, and immigrant populations. Tasks include cultural and community orientation, assistance with case management (securing housing, applying for temporary financial assistance, advocating for health and social services) and community outreach.
- August - December 2017
- A minimum commitment of 20 hours per week is required.
- Days are flexible depending on student schedule and internship manger needs.
- Assist Resettlement & Placement case managers with client cases.
- Facilitate cultural reception and orientation of newly arrived refugees.
- Research appropriate resources for refugees and/or low-income families.
- Help to secure furniture and setup apartments for new arrivals.
- Obtain Massachusetts IDs for newly arrived refugees.
- Assist or accompany refugees with appointments and with navigating the Greater Lowell public transit system.
- Assist in registering refugee children for school.
- Troubleshoot and problem-solve case-related issues.
- Running out of office errands with clients to DTA and SSA. Activate EBT cards for food and cash assistance
- Attend occasional staff and partner meetings.
- Complete basic administrative tasks including filing and forms assistance and other tasks as needed.
- Interest in international, refugee and asylee issues.
- Excellent communication and advocacy skills.
- Organized with great attention to detail.
- A command of Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- High-levels of professionalism, discretion and maturity in dealing with confidential information.
- Bi-lingual and bi-cultural experience a plus.
- Comfort in or willingness to learn navigating the Lowell area on public transit. Driver’s license and/or car a plus.
- Fluency in Arabic, French, Spanish, Nepali, Swahili or Burmese highly desirable but not necessary.
TO APPLY: Please send a cover letter, resume, and a list of three references email@example.com. Please indicate in your application which internship you are applying for and at which location.