IINE is currently offering internships through its Lowell site to students with demonstrated interest or experience in serving refugee, asylee and immigrant populations. One of the primary goals for our clients is to gain employment. The International Institute has a staff of employment professionals to assist in and support job search efforts. The workforce development intern will support employment staff to provide links between clients and employers.
- May - August 2017
- A minimum commitment of 20 hours per week is required.
- Days are flexible depending on student schedule and internship manager needs.
- ·Work with clients to develop employment plans
- Assist in job counseling and job coaching
- Monitor Lowell and surrounding area labor market. Solicit employers through telephone, mail and personal contact. Maintain knowledge of the needs and requirements of employers
- Work with employment coordinator to educate employers to the needs and abilities of client population
- Screen worksites for safe, non-exploitative work conditions
- Maintain client records and contribute to reports as required
- Attend occasional staff and partner meetings
- Assist Employment Specialists with weekly job-updates and job seeking activities
- Help staff to plan job fairs and bring students on job site tours
- May assist with English as a second language (ESL) instruction, introducing employment specific language
- Miscellaneous duties as assigned
- Patience speaking with non-native English speakers/non-English speakers
- Desire to work with refugees, immigrants and employers
- Ability to handle multiple tasks, think and communicate creatively Familiarity with employment/job seeking websites, journals and materials
- Knowledge of a language other than English very helpful but not mandatory
- Comfort in or willingness to learn navigating the Lowell area on public transit. Driver’s license and/or car a plus
- Interest in Human Resources, employment, resume creation and employment networking a plus
Other duties as assigned