Community Services Internship
The International Institute of New England is currently offering internships through its Community Services Department to students with demonstrated interest or experience in serving refugee, asylee and immigrant populations. Tasks include cultural and community orientation, assistance with case management (securing housing, applying for temporary financial assistance, advocating for health and social services) and community outreach.
- May-August 2017
- A minimum commitment of 20 hours per week is required.
- Days are flexible depending on student schedule and internship manager needs.
Key responsibilities may include:
- Conduct case management intakes with new clients to access services.
- Perform resettlement and case management activities as needed, including accompanying clients to the DTA, health clinics, social security office, etc.
- Provide support to case managers and meet with clients to assist with referrals/enrollments into benefits and trouble-shooting of issues with accessing benefits.
- Serve as a referral source for a wide variety of social service needs.
- Assist with filing and ensuring all required documents are in client files.
- Conduct Affidavit of Relationship meetings with clients, in particular Central American Minor cases, to facilitate the family reunification process.
- Assist with instruction and implementation of the Cultural Orientation Program.
- Provide crisis assessment and crisis intervention.
- Interest in international, refugee and asylee issues.
- Excellent communication and advocacy skills.
- Highly organized with great attention to detail.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and to switch gears quickly.
- High‐levels of professionalism, discretion and maturity in dealing with confidential information.
- Ability to work respectfully in a multicultural environment.
- Patience speaking with non-native English speakers/non-English speakers.
- Comfort in navigating the Boston area on public transit.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Access, Word, Excel, Outlook, and Power Point.
- Driver’s License and/or car a plus.
- Bi‐lingual and bi‐cultural experience a plus.
- Fluency in Arabic, French, Spanish, or Somali highly desirable.
TO APPLY: Please send a cover letter, résumé, and a list of three references to email@example.com. Please indicate in your application which internship you are applying for and at which location.