INTERNATIONAL INSTITUTE OF NEW ENGLAND INTERNSHIP PROGRAM
The International Institute of New England (IINE) is a 501(c)(3) non‐profit organization based in Boston, Massachusetts, with offices in Boston (and a satellite office in Lynn), Lowell, and Manchester, New Hampshire. The mission of the International Institute of New England is to invest in the future of our cities and towns by preparing refugees and immigrants for participation in the social, economic and political richness of American life through active citizenship.
The IINE Internship Program offers outstanding opportunities for college students, graduate students, and recent graduates. All internships are unpaid and correspond roughly with the semester system:
Fall: September – December (Applications due by August 1)
Spring: January – April (Applications due by December 1)
Summer: May – August (Applications due by April 1)
The International Institute of New England’s Central office (located within its IINE-Boston office) is currently offering internships with its Development and Operations teams to students with demonstrated interest or experience in serving refugee, asylee, and immigrant populations. An intern can apply to be assigned to any of the opportunities listed below. Each internship also includes an educational component, through which interns contextualize their experience and reflect on their service.
• A minimum commitment of 20 hours per week is required.
• Days are flexible depending on intern’s schedule and office needs.
Programs and Responsibilities:
• Impact Giving: The impact giving intern supports the Development team to ensure that the Institute meets its annual individual giving/fundraising goals. Intern responsibilities include helping screen and contact major donors, assisting the Impact Giving Officer in scheduling meetings, researching and creating summaries for prospective donors, corporations, and grant-making organizations, and updating contact information after outreach.
• Fundraising Events: The fundraising events intern supports the Development team to ensure that the Institute meets its annual fundraising goals. Intern responsibilities include: working with the Development Manager to execute details of major and minor fundraising events and connecting with event attendees, donors, and sponsors through emails and phone calls. The events intern collaborates on multiple tasks and aspects of fundraising events.
• Marketing and Communications: The marketing and communications team is responsible for developing and managing IINE’s internal and external marketing and communications efforts. Intern responsibilities include maintaining IINE’s social media presence, assisting with the design and written content for marketing and promotional materials, and helping to update content on the IINE website.
• Operations: The Operations intern supports the Operations Manager and Data Manager in their efforts to standardize and strengthen day-to-day processes and systems across IINE’s 3 sites. Intern responsibilities include assisting with data clean up and importation, conducting and presenting research on the organization’s history and services, communicating with staff around contract and organization requirements, and providing general administrative support.
• Interest in international, refugee, asylee, and/or immigrant issues
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Experience advocating on behalf of others
• Highly organized with great attention to detail
• Ability to handle multiple tasks and to switch gears quickly
• Professionalism, discretion, and maturity in dealing with confidential information
• Ability to work respectfully in a multicultural environment
• Patience speaking with non-native English speakers/non-English speakers
• Comfort navigating the Boston area on public transit
• Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint
• Driver’s license and/or car a plus
• Language skills in Arabic, French, Spanish, and Somali highly desirable
• Experience using a databases similar to Apricot or Salesforce preferred
TO APPLY: Please send a cover letter, résumé, and list of three references as a single .pdf file, saved as your first and last name, to email@example.com. Please indicate in your cover letter which programs you are interested in and why. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.