The International Institute of New England (IINE), which is celebrating its 100th year of service to refugees and immigrants, seeks an experienced, mission-driven fundraising professional to lead the IINE development effort. During the past two years, the International Institute’s profile has risen dramatically because of the worldwide refugee crisis and the overwhelming response from people throughout New England to policies that are damaging to immigrant populations. IINE seeks a Chief Development Officer (CDO) who can leverage public interest in our mission to increase support from individuals, foundations, corporations, community groups, and individuals.
IINE is one of the region’s leading human service organizations focused on helping immigrants and refugees gain the skills, education, training and other assistance necessary to live independently and successfully in America. The International Institute is at ground zero in the national immigrant debate, and as demand for services increases, we are initiating new programs to reach more refugees and immigrants.
The Chief Development Officer will be an enthusiastic and mission-driven leader with the background and skills to help bring IINE to the next level of fundraising success. S/he will be a creative and innovative thinker and will play an important role in driving the effort to raise our profile, expand our donor base and increase donor retention. S/he will work closely with the President/CEO to establish fundraising strategies and will lead a team of development professionals to achieve annual and multi-year revenue targets. The CDO also will develop and manage his or her own portfolio of major gift donors and prospects. S/he will work directly with the Board of Directors and will be part of a senior leadership team that is working collaboratively to drive the growth of the Institute.
Duties and Responsibilities
- In collaboration with the CEO and Development Committee of the Board of Directors, develops and implements a comprehensive fundraising plan to solicit support from individuals, foundations, corporations, and community and faith groups to meet annual and multi-year revenue targets.
- Along with the CEO, serves as a leader in the effort to secure major gifts from individuals and manages a portfolio of major donors and prospects.
- Oversees IINE’s signature events and regional fundraising activities that support service delivery in Boston, Lowell, and Manchester, New Hampshire.
- Leads special fundraising initiatives related to the organization’s 100th anniversary.
- Hires, supervises and evaluates the Development team and structure (currently six staff).
- Attends Board of Director meetings and supports the Board’s Development Committee.
- In collaboration with the Chief Financial Officer and Senior Leadership team, builds the development office budget and ensures that the department operates within it.
- Manages Board-related projects, including the recruitment of Board members, fundraising efforts by Directors, and development updates to the Board of Directors.
- Supervises the Development Manager, who creates on-line, print and multi-media materials that tell IINE’s story to donors, stakeholders, and prospects.
- Provides oversight and guidance on publications, reports, marketing, donor communications, and media strategy in collaboration with the CEO.
- Serves on IINE’s senior leadership team and collaborates in strategic planning, goal setting, and financial management.
- Works with the Chief Program Officer to ensure that fundraising and program strategies align.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge of the refugee resettlement/immigrant integration field and its intersection with Human Services and Adult Education.
- Represents the International Institute at community events.
Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree required, Master’s or other advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum of eight years of development experience, including at least three years supervising, training, and coaching development professionals.
- Enthusiasm for IINE’s mission of serving immigrants and refugees.
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice for disadvantaged populations.
- Experience with all aspects of development – grant writing, event management, legacy gifts, and corporate giving with a special expertise in individual donor solicitation and major giving.
- Experience identifying, cultivating and soliciting support from individual donors who are not directly impacted by the organization’s work.
- Exceptional analytical and critical thinking skills; an ability to be a thought-partner with highly skilled program leadership to develop fundraising strategies to support IINE’s work.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills, including experience writing for publications such as newsletters, journals, and online sites.
- Superb organizational, supervisory and interpersonal skills.
- Able to work collegially and collaboratively in a team environment.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and fluent with fundraising software.
- Access to a personal vehicle and a current driver’s license; the position involves travel to our locations in Lowell, Boston, and Manchester, New Hampshire.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to Human Resources (email@example.com) with your name and position in the subject line.
Qualified applicants will be contacted.
No telephone calls please.
The International Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Immigrants, women, people with disabilities, people of color and LGBTQ candidates are encouraged to apply.