INTERNATIONAL INSTITUTE OF NEW ENGLAND INTERNSHIP PROGRAM
The International Institute of New England (IINE) is a 501(c)(3) non‐profit organization based in Boston, Massachusetts, with offices in Boston (and a satellite office in Lynn), Lowell, and Manchester, New Hampshire. The mission of the International Institute of New England is to invest in the future of our cities and towns by preparing refugees and immigrants for participation in the social, economic and political richness of American life through active citizenship.
The IINE Internship Program offers outstanding opportunities for college students, graduate students, and recent graduates. All internships are unpaid and correspond roughly with the semester system:
Fall: September – December (Applications due by August 1)
Spring: January – April (Applications due by December 1)
Summer: May – August (Applications due by April 1)
The International Institute of New England-Manchester is currently offering internships in a number of programs to students with demonstrated interest or experience in serving refugee, asylee, and immigrant populations. An intern can expect to be assigned to one or two of the programs outlined below. Each internship also includes an educational component, through which interns contextualize their experience and reflect on their service. Internships typically involve travel to and from clients’ residences, community locations, and numerous office sites in the Manchester and Nashua area.
- A minimum commitment of 20 hours per week is required.
- Days are flexible depending on intern’s schedule and program needs.
Programs and Responsibilities:
- School Impact Internship: Coordinate with School Impact team on program curriculum and implementation. Co-facilitate weekly in-school support groups for refugee children. Assist in registering refugee children for school. Help with the weekly after-school program.
- Employment Services: Help conduct full intake, assessment, and document verification of potential clients. Work one-on-one with students to provide support with resume building, mock interviews, job applications, etc. Research industry trends and job openings. Co-facilitate weekly job classes with Employment Specialists. Participate in employment services activities such as company tours, mock interview days, career fairs, educational workshops, staff meetings, etc.
- English for Speakers of Other Languages: Help proctor, evaluate, and record English assignments for new students. Assist in literacy class and other activities. Aid ESL teachers with class duties as necessary. Attend field trips with instructors and students in the community.
- Case Management: Assist Reception and Placement (R&P) Case Specialists with client cases. Help facilitate the cultural reception and orientation of newly arrived refugees, including assisting with instruction and implementation of the Cultural Orientation Program. Complete basic administrative tasks including filing and forms assistance. Research appropriate resources for refugees and/or low-income families. Assist in registering refugee children for school. Help with outreach to the Manchester community and more. Troubleshoot and problem solve case-related issues.
- Interest in international, refugee, asylee, and/or immigrant issues
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Experience advocating on behalf of others
- Highly organized with great attention to detail
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and to switch gears quickly
- Professionalism, discretion, and maturity in dealing with confidential information
- Ability to work respectfully in a multicultural environment
- Patience speaking with non-native English speakers/non-English speakers
- Comfort navigating the Boston area on public transit
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint
- Driver’s license and/or car required if driving clients
- Language skills in Arabic, French, Swahili or Nepali highly desirable
- Prior ESL/teaching experience preferred
TO APPLY: Please send a cover letter, résumé, and list of three references as a single .pdf file, saved as your first and last name, to email@example.com. Please indicate in your cover letter which programs you are interested in and why. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.