The International Institute of New England, a nongovernmental, not-for-profit, New England-based organization dedicated to addressing the needs and rights of refugees and immigrants, regularly hires interpreters at its Boston, Lowell and Manchester offices. IINE-Lowell is currently searching for a Kinyarwanda/Kinyabwisha/Swahili Interpreter.
A dynamic, forward-looking, smart and rapidly growing non-profit organization, we seek well-qualified, solutions-focused candidates who are experts in their respective fields. Candidates need to approach issues creatively and thoughtfully. In addition, all candidates should possess the following set of qualifications:
- Excellent verbal and oral communication skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
Reports to: Lowell Program Director
Status: Non-exempt, part time, temporary
IINE Interpreters provide interpretation and translation services for staff and clients on an as needed basis. Once hired, Interpreters are added to a database that is updated regularly. When an interpreter or translation services are required, staff contact those individuals in the database that speak the applicable language and arrange a time and space for them to provide those services. Interpreters are paid $20 per hour.
Please note that we are looking for candidates from the Lowell area available to provide in-person and over-the-phone interpretation.
- Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, grammar, and history
- Previous translation/interpreter work preferred, but not required
- Experience working with multi-cultural, multi-lingual, and international populations preferred, but not required
- The ability to communicate exactly what is spoken without communicating opinions or tangential thoughts
- Fluency in Kinyarwanda, Kinyabwisha, Swahili, English
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide interpreting / translating services for employees and other individuals for meetings, interviews, telephone calls, etc. including one-to-one and group settings.
- Facilitate communication for clients with limited English proficiency.
- Translate orally or in writing all documents presented by staff and/or client.
- Participate in related workshops and program activities as needed.
- Prepare written translations of instructional and educational materials, correspondence, and forms when appropriate for use by the staff, clients, and other individuals.
- Review translated material for accuracy of meaning, grammar and syntax.
- Answer inquiries from staff, clients, and other individuals as appropriate.
- Interpret and explain words and phrases for meaning and appropriateness.
- Relay the style and tone of the original language and render spoken messages accurately, quickly, and clearly.
Perform all other duties assigned by supervisor.
Please send your cover letter and resume to Human Resources (HR@iine.org) with your name and position in the subject line. Qualified applicants will be contacted; references will be required at the time of the interview. Please note that applications for this position are accepted year-round; we will contact applicants when a need is identified at one of our offices.
No telephone calls please.
Position will remain open until filled.
The International Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Immigrants, women, people with disabilities, people of color, and LGBTQ candidates are encouraged to apply.