The International Institute of New England, a nongovernmental, not-for-profit, New England-based organization dedicated to addressing the needs and rights of refugees and immigrants, is seeking an Program Assistant and Spanish Interpreter at its Manchester office.
A dynamic, forward-looking, smart and rapidly growing non-profit organization, we seek well-qualified, solutions-focused candidates who are experts in their respective fields. Candidates need to approach issues creatively and thoughtfully. In addition, all candidates should possess the following set of qualifications:
- Excellent verbal and oral communication skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Detail-oriented, able to multitask and meet deadlines
- Self-motivated, able to work in a team and independently
Reports to: Program Manager
Status: Non-exempt, Full Time
The Program Assistant/Spanish Interpreter will attend to interpretation/translation needs of clients (external/internal) and walk-in community members and respond to inquiries by phone and face to face. He/she will be responsible for providing high quality customer service. The Program Assistant/Spanish Interpreter is also responsible for providing consecutive interpreting services to all Pinpoint Translation clients and is expected to travel to the locations where interpreting services is needed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Anticipates, understands, and responds to the needs of clients to meet or exceed their expectations
- Strong telephone and in-person communication skills
- Well organized; ability to set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details, data, information and activities
- Ability to solve problems and know when to escalate issues to management
- Knowledge of customer service principles and practices
- Cross-cultural sensitivity and competency
- Knowledge of computers and software applications including Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to concentrate for long periods of time
- Excellent spoken and written language skills in English and Spanish
- Demonstrated knowledge of successful Interpreting and Translating skills;
- Ability to conduct interpreting successfully in high stress client situations such as medical and legal
- Excellent memory
- Ability to be patience
- High ethical standards and respect for client confidentiality
- Be able to lift 10-20lbs.
Experience and Degrees:
- Associate or Bachelor preferred.
- Have at least 1 year of consecutive medical interpreting experience.
- Fluency in English and Spanish is a must. Knowledge of other languages is a plus;
- Simultaneous interpreting is a plus.
- Must be able to work independently
- Have a valid driver’s license.
- MUST have reliable transportation.
Duties and Responsibilities: Customer Service and Program Assistant
- Responsible for answering phone calls and emails in a timely fashion.
- Assist with organizing and preparing timesheets for payment
- Data entry in the programs Atrium system.
- Communicate with existing and new clients in person, or via telephone, email or fax
- File and Organize
- Responsible for documenting appointments in the required system
- Deliver needed services to clients in a timely, professional and complete manner
- Ensure that program activities operate within organizational policies and professional standards
- Assist Program Manager with Administrative Support when needed.
- Medical/Legal Interpretation.
- Deliver high quality, professional interpreting services to all clients and their members and/or patients.
- Other duties as assign
Interested candidates should email their cover letter and resume to Human Resources (firstname.lastname@example.org) with their name and position in the subject line. In the cover letter, please be sure to include the following:
- Salary expectations
- Any work or volunteer work done with refugees or immigrants
- Languages spoken
- Qualified applicants will be contacted.
No telephone calls please.
The International Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Immigrants, women, people with disabilities, people of color and LGBTQ candidates are encouraged to apply.