The International Institute of Lowell was founded in 1918 as part of the Lowell YWCA to provide workforce development training and English classes. Six years later, the International Institute of Boston was established at the YWCA then located at 12 Newbury Street. The International Institute separated from the YWCA in 1935, and over the ensuing decades hundreds of community groups, individuals, corporations, and foundations joined forces with the organization to help immigrants integrate into New England. The International Institute of New Hampshire was founded in 1994 as a reorganization, continuation, and expansion of existing services in place since 1987. In 2001, the Boston site, Lowell site, and the International Institute of New Hampshire became one consolidated organization – The International Institute of New England.
Today, our Lowell site has over 50 staff, who provide a range of services to over 1,600 refugee and immigrant clients annually.